For a full breakdown of the Product Matrix Rates extension, see the WebShopWiki: http://wiki.webshopapps.com/extensions/product-matrix
When the module / extension is installed, a product attribute called 'package_id' is created (with the title Shipping Group).
Shipping Groups are used to group together products for the purposes of providing specific shipping rates. Shipping Groups are added as attribute options within the 'package_id' / Shipping Group attribute and are then assigned to the product. Once assigned to the product, Shipping Group specific rates can then be added to the Shipping Rates csv.
Adding and assigning a new Shipping Group to products
- Navigate to Catalogue > Attributes > Manage Attributes, and search for 'package_id' in the Attribute Code field. Once found, click into the attribute.
- Within the attribute, click into the Manage Label / Options tab.
- Under the Manage Options (values of your attribute), you should then see all the current Shipping Groups which exists against the attribute. Click +Add Option to add a new Shipping Group.
- Once happy, click Save Attribute.
- Now that you have added your new Shipping Group, you can now assign it to Products (need to ensure that attribute has been added to the attribute set of the product in order for it to be a configurable option within the product).
Adding a new Shipping Group specific rate to your Shipping Rates CSV
- Navigate to System > Configuration > Shipping Methods (may also read Delivery Methods), and then into the Webshopapps Product Matrix Rates tab.
- Change the scope of the website whos rates you would like to update, and then click Export (to export the current rates for that particular website).
- Add an additional row for the new rate, ensuring you have the newly created Shipping Group in the Shipping Group field of the csv.
- Save your file as a CSV (ensuring that the Field Delimited is ,and Text Delimiter is ").
- Import your updated CSV into Webshopapps (using the Import button) and click Save Config.