How to Clone Categories in Magento (using the Visual Merchandiser)
- Navigate to Catalog > Categories > Manage Categories and then click into the ‘original’ category (the category that you would like your new category to be a clone of.
- In the ‘original’ category (the category that you would like your new category to be a clone of), make note of the category ID (which will display at the top of the page, in parentheses after the category name).
- Create your new category in the structure where you would like to see it appear (completing all attributes within the category as these will not be inherited from the original only the product assignment will be) and click Save Category.
- Within the Visual Merchandiser tab, In the Smart Category section, click the ‘Add Attribute’ button. Then do the following:
- Under Attribute, select ‘Clone category ID’
- Under Value, enter the ID of the category you want to clone. To clone multiple categories, separate each ID with a comma You can add more conditions as needed to complete the rule.
- Once you are happy with your cloned category, click Save Category.
Note: For the purposes here, since you will be deleting the original category to make way for the new category structure you will need to make sure that the product assignment of the new category is maintained when the original category is deleted.
To maintain the product assignment in the new category, please do the following:
- Once you are completely happy with the new category, ensure that within the Options section of the Visual Merchandiser tab, the ‘Only products matched by rules:’ is set to No (this will ensure that the current product assignment of the category is maintained). Click Save Category.
- When you delete the original category, the cloned category will display an error saying that ‘the category ‘x’ that you are trying to clone, does not exist’.
- You can now delete this ‘Clone Category within the cloned category, and so long as ‘only include products matched by rule:’ is set to No, product assignment will remain intact.