If you are considering installing an extension, there are some sensible steps worth taking before making a final commitment to put it forward. Most of these markers are available from the extension page itself.
- Popularity - does the extension have a score of 50+ ?
- Reviews - Does the extension have more than 5 reviews ?
- Platform support - does it definitely advertise support for your version of Magento ?
- Release notes - can you see some realistic attempt to revise, enhance, fix bugs ?
- Age - Has the extension been available for 3+ months ?
- Vendor - Is the extension provided by a Vendor you are aware of ?
If you have managed to answer YES to 4 or more of the above questions then it would be a candidate for Dev server installation and testing.