Previously the only way to mass assign products in Magento was using import / export, which would still require the creation and configuration of a csv with correct category paths, or IDs if using the dataflow profiles option. Enterprise Edition 1.14.1 introduced a new way of doing this which can help save time when needing to mass assign products to categories.
How to Mass Assign Products to Categories using the Visual Merchandiser
- Navigate Catalog > Manage Categories, and click into the category you would like to assign products to.
- From within the category, click into the Visual Merchandiser tab, and then click Show Visual Merchandiser, to open the visual merchandiser popup.
- From the popup, select the applicable storeview from the Storefront dropdown, and then select 'Mass Product Assignment' from the Options dropdown. Once happy with both selections, click 'Submit'.
- This will then open another popup with a large empty box to populate with SKUs you are wanting to assign to that category.
- SKUs will need to be listed in this box each on a separate line / row (as shown below)
6. Once all applicable products are listed, click Assign Products.
Note: You can also unassign / remove products this way using the Remove Products button.