Every Paypal merchant account offers the ability to have a corresponding Paypal Sandbox account for the purposes of end-to-end testing. The Paypal Sandbox account is a self-contained testing environment that replicates the live scenario processes without having test accounts or orders polluting your live account.
How to obtain Paypal Sandbox Test Account Details
- Navigate to https://developer.paypal.com/ and login using your Paypal live account details.
- Once logged in, on the PayPal Developer account, click Dashboard at the top of the screen.
- On the left hand side of the Dashboard, you then want to click into Sandbox > Accounts. On the Sandbox Test Accounts page you should then see at least 1 BUSINESS and 1 PERSONAL account (these are created by default, but you can create additional ones of each sort if required).
Note: The BUSINESS account is a the test merchant account, and the BUYER account is the test buyer account.
- Click the small arrow beside the email address of either of the accounts, and then click 'Profile' to view the relevant details currently configured to each of the accounts.
- You will need the following information from the BUSINESS account to configure the Sandbox account in Magento:
- Email ID
- API Username
- API Password
- API Signature
6. You will need the following information from the BUYER account to place an test order using the Sandbox account in Magento
- Email ID
- Password (this can be updated using the Change password button).
7. In your Magento admin, navigate to System > Configuration > Payment Methods, and click into the Paypal payment type you are using (or planning to use).
8. Complete the following fields:
- Email Associated with PayPal Merchant Account - This is the Email ID of the Sandbox BUSINESS account
- API Authentication Methods - Set this to API Signature
- API Username - This is found in the Sandbox BUSINESS account
- API Password - This is found in the Sandbox BUSINESS account
- API Signature - This is found in the Sandbox BUSINESS account
- Sandbox Mode - Set this to Yes
- API using Proxy - Set this to No
- Enable this Solution Set this to Yes
9. Click Save Config.
At this stage (a reindex and a flush of cache may be required), but you should now be ready to test the frontend of this using the Sandbox BUYER account details.